About our group
We are a self-help group, formed in June 2010, with the aim of supporting men in Edinburgh and the Lothians newly diagnosed with prostate cancer. Our group is managed by and for men with prostate cancer, their families and carers - all have, or have had, prostate cancer and are undergoing various forms of treatment. We share experiences of diagnosis and treatment hearing how other patients and carers are coping.We have regular meetings and events and provide a forum for men to discuss their diagnosis and treatment and help others in a similar position. "Patients supporting patients."
As well as providing a considerable amount of support to men and their families affected by prostate cancer in Edinburgh and the Lothians, we have also been involved in a number of initiatives and projects including:
- provision and continuing support for the audio CD programme at the Western General Hospital, whereby men are provided with a recording of their consultation for future reference and reflection
- submission to the Scottish Medicines Consortium on the case for making available certain specific drugs (including Abiraterone)
- events to raise awareness of issues around prostate cancer, including an evening at Holy Rood in 2015 and in late 2017 an event at BT Murrayfield, attended by 140 guests
- production and distribution of Toilet Cards - soon to be updated!
- provision of supplies for the coffee machine in the HEBA unit at the Edinburgh Cancer Centre